The History Behind LI Green
In the fall of 2007 a study was done with the assistance of students at Stony Brook University to determine why homeowners were reluctant to have energy audits performed in their homes even though the end result would mean financial savings and a more comfortable home. The answer was that people were reluctant to spend the hundreds of dollars for this, and with good reason since the companies performing these audits are also hoping to sell the homeowner the work they recommend.. LI Green, a not for profit organization, was thus founded to provide homeowners with free and independent audits and with the guidance needed so that they could achieve maximum energy efficiency in their homes. In a beta testing, LI Green performed over 200 audits in less than 2 months and had a backlog of audit requests. Most homeowners acted to some extent upon our recommendations and many followed the entire action plan. All reported successful results. By providing free home energy audits, the goal of reducing a home’s fuel and electric usage, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, improving job growth on LI and improving the environmental conditions of our area can easily be met.
From this LI Green identified the need for a number of programs in the energy efficiency, sustainability and “green” umbrella of topics and has sought to meet these needs through the establishment of education, community awareness and technical services programs.
Some Details about LI Green
Founded by Chuck Schwartz and Richard Turan in Fall 2007
- Incorporated as a not for profit corporation in February 2008 under NY State law
- Awarded tax exempt status in June 2008 by the Federal Government under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Presently operating in the High Technology Business Incubator at Stony Brook University
- Funded to date through donations from the Turan Family Foundation, other private groups and individuals, program fees and service administration fees.
Present LI Green Programs
LI Green provides these programs and services at this time:
- Green Business Outreach and Networking
- Technical Assistance to Long Island Homeowners on Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- Community Awareness and Educational Programs
- Financing Assistance for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Projects
- Green technical engineering services for Long Island corporations